Friday, December 14, 2007

O History, Part II

Previously, I had begun to describe how John and I met and started dating, using my journal. The next mention of John in my journal is the entry for Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 9:25 p.m. From the journal:

So on Monday, I went to meet Penny, Kelly, Mary, and Yvette to get together and chat at Wendy's [the restaurant]. I felt like throwing up the whole time because right after that I was going to meet John at Carrabba's for dinner.

So I prayed and prayed: Please give us lots to talk about and avoid Awkward Moments!

We didn't have any problems. =) Thank You, Lord! [Some of the conversation covered the Italian language. I drank so much water, I had to keep going to the bathroom, so I was embarrassed that I had to keep leaving to go to the bathroom. Carrabba's plays "Italian language lessons" in the restroom, apparently, so I'd try to remember some of it to talk about when I got back, to "cover" for having to leave YET AGAIN to go to the bathroom. Later, John said it was kind of weird/funny that I kept doing that. His perspective: So you have to go to the bathroom. Big deal.]

From there, we went (in separate cars) to his Monday night Bible study, which consists of Dan & Laurie and another married couple. [This was not part of the original Date Plan, but John convinced me to go, and I didn't want the evening to end yet. This Bible study quickly became an important part of our relationship, and the two other couples played vital roles in our wedding plans and ceremony!]

After the Bible study, we walked out the door to leave [it was dark]. I was parked last in the driveway. John thought I'd already begun to back up, so he began to back up also - and ran into me!! I was laughing so hard, even the next day. My line: "John, if you didn't have a good time, you could have just said so." What a cool story!

Future dates that have been scheduled: On Friday, we're going with Paul & Mary to see a play and then Saturday is Phantom of the Opera in Orlando.

I had to REALLY hold myself back tonight: DO NOT CALL HIM! He didn't call either, but he has to call before 7:30 p.m. on Friday to let me know the transportation situation & meeting time, etc.!

In the midst of this spirit of impatience, I looked at my perpetual calendar for today and got sucker-punched. Today's verse:

Wait on the Lord. (Psalm 27:14)

Just like that. Um, Lord, are you trying to tell me something?! Talk about direct.

But for the first time, I really do feel patient (in a different sense!), ok with waiting to see what happens longer-term. It's a little fun to just take it one day at a time....

O History, Part III

No comments: