Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Black Bean Dip

This is the first recipe I made myself. I got inspiration from other black bean dip recipes but didn't like any one in particular, so I combined the elements I liked and experimented. I was also trying to duplicate this yummy dip from the grocery store, making my own cheaper version.

2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup tomato juice
2 T lime juice (or juice of 1 lime)
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T dried cilantro
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning Blend*
Salt and pepper to taste

Mash ingredients together with potato masher or in food processor until desired consistency (more chunky or creamy).

*Skip the Mrs. Dash and add 1/2 to 1 tsp more chili powder

I also have a small container nearby when I make this, to combine a second round of the dry spices. That way the next time I make the dip, I just have to add the wet ingredients to the already-mixed dry spices. Time saver!

(And it's mostly vegan, if you made your own salsa and skipped the Mrs. Dash.)

No comments: