Sunday, May 16, 2010

Joke's On Me

It's only the fact that I keep much more paper than I should (even though it is properly labeled and filed) that I discovered hard-copy proof of God's sense of humor.

Exhibit A: As a high school senior, when asked that perennially annoying question, "What do you want to do after high school?" I was quick to answer: go to college and major in English. The inevitable follow-up response: "What are you going to do with that, teach?" SIGH. I don't know why everyone thinks that the only occupation for an English major is to teach English (or become an editor, which every English major secretly dreams of but only a lucky few manage to achieve). I had no idea what I wanted to do AFTER college, except for one certainty, which I voiced over and over and over again: I DO NOT WANT TO BE A TEACHER. A terrifying idea for an introverted nerdy bibliophile.

Yet as the years passed, my neat little file system contained a folder called "Teaching Ideas," which occasionally increased in thickness ... until the day when I pulled it out because I was actually a teacher in need of Teaching Ideas.

Good one, God.

Exhibit B: My hobbies and interests included reading, journaling, swing dancing, reading, scrapbooking, running, reading, and organizing friends and relatives' closets, bedrooms, and offices.

Yet as the years passed, my neat little file system gained a new entry called "Organizing Business." Even though I always thought, I will NEVER EVER OWN MY OWN BUSINESS. A terrifying idea for an introverted scaredy-cat who did not inherit a lick of business sense from her banker father. Until one day when I pulled it out because I was in fact starting my own organizing business.

Got me again, God.

It might be time to go through my papers again - and see what's around the bend. Who knew file folders could predict the future?

No comments: