Thursday, June 18, 2009

Leftover rum? No problem!

My only experience with rum has been watching Jack Sparrow sing its praises on the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. But there was almost an entire bottle leftover after Matt made tiramisu the other week. I was going to make peach cobbler one night but instead searched for a recipe with peaches and rum. Since that required grilling, and it was already 90 degrees outside, I changed it a bit and came up with this:

Peaches 'n Rum

6-7 medium peaches, peeled and sliced
Sugar
Cinnamon
Chopped almonds (though I used pre-sliced almonds as a shortcut)
Rum (approx. 1 tsp per peach)

After preparing the peaches, I lined a 9-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil and put the peaches inside. Sprinkle liberally with sugar and cinnamon, then add some of the almonds on top. I poured 6 tsp of rum on top, then closed up the aluminum foil tightly and put the loaf pan in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes (until the peaches are cooked).

Whipped Topping:

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Splash of rum (optional!)

Whip cream until almost stiff, about 1 minute. Per Gail's advice, I added a splash of rum. Then slowly add sugar and vanilla; beat until cream holds peaks.

Er, since there was still almost a whole bottle of rum left, I made this again the next night, but with 3 medium-sized apples. Yum!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woot! Ha, Ha! I think you are the lady I was looking for. I believe we went to high school together. I lived across the street from you, it was entirely your fault that I joined the track team (even though you did try to worm out of it at the last minute), and my name starts with "H"...