Monday, January 26, 2009

Cilantro Spice Paste for Fajitas

I got this recipe from my new cookbook, Simply In Season, which, if you've never heard of it, is AN AWESOME cookbook.

Anyway, I'm trying to move away from the easy dry sauce packets that stores have for fajitas, enchiladas, chili, gravy, etc. and make my own, to save money and promote better taste. One of the many nice features of Simply in Season is that many of the recipes have a foundational section to the recipe, then several spice/taste variations below, so you have more options.

The fajita recipe had two options, and I made the Cilantro Spice Paste:

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (finely chopped)
2T soy sauce
1T oil
1T chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
juice of 1 lime

Mix together. Coat meat well with cilantro paste [strips of chicken, sirloin, or steak; I used portabello mushroom strips]; let stand at least 15 minutes. Stir fry over high heat in 2T of oil. Remove from pan and keep warm while stir-frying vegetables. [Since I used mushrooms, I stir-fried the vegs first, added the paste, and then added the mushrooms.]

It tasted SO good. I even made this when we had company over, even though it was my first time making it. I NEVER have company over when I'm making something for the first time.

No comments: