Monday, March 03, 2008

Ruth's Cold Lentil Salad

Got this from my friend Ruth. I suspect that she created it from scratch, but I'm not sure! VERY tasty and filling.

Boil 4 cups of water.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown 2 cups of lentils in a small amount of oil (I used extra virgin olive oil), until color changes (about 5 minutes).

Carefully pour boiling water over lentils. Optional add-ins: 2 cloves crushed garlic, chopped or dried onion, a dash of Braggs Liquid Aminos, or a dash of sherry. I added about 1/4 or 1/3 cup of sherry.

Cook lentils until water is absorbed, and lentils are soft. (This took about 25 minutes.)

If necessary, drain any excess water and chill lentils in the refrigerator.

Then add and toss with:

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 t basil
1 t salt
2 tomatoes, diced
1 (red) bell pepper, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 cup coarse-chopped parsley

Serves 6+

No comments: