Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Exordium, Or, The Birth of a Blog – Part II

Starting a blog for the first time can be a vacillating person’s nightmare, there are so many decisions to make. What should your logon and password be? What to name the blog? What should your screen name be? What clever description can I come up with to describe my blog? And I hadn’t even gotten to all the decisions under the Settings menu.

But the decision that took the longest, probably months, was what to name my blog, and I found that I was not alone in my quest. Surely, naming children is easier? Your blog represents, no, IS you. The title reveals true identity even if people hide their real names. I have a page of potential blog titles that I rejected (too childish, too weird, too common, too pretentious). Once I decided to use “The Blue Notebook,” I searched Blogger and was tremendously disappointed to find two other blogs bearing the same name. I felt like a whiny child whose cookie gets taken away.

After moping about for a few days and returning to my Search For the Perfect Blog Title, I thought, I LIKE “The Blue Notebook,” and who cares if some odd teenaged boy uses it? Blue is my favorite color, and by golly that’s the title I’m going to use.

So welcome to my blog, but don’t expect too many posts just yet. That would require making more decisions, and for now, I’m tapped out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, picking a name. I couldn't use the name Missyisms with Blogger, so I went with TypePad instead.

I'm disappointed you didn't use your V. P. name. ;-(

Jane Eyre said...

Yes, whether or not to use V.P. as a name was yet ANOTHER decision I had to make. O, the blogagonies.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogging. I'm pathetically irregular when it comes to writing on my blog, but for what its worth, I'm over at: http://swanson.covblogs.com. I'm gonna put a link to your blog right next to my link to Otter's blog.

Anonymous said...

hey there, hope you get your blog running smoothly. Blogs really are fun, and they get to be loads of fun when you learn more and more things that you can do with it;)

John Ottinger III (Grasping for the Wind) said...

Be sure to read this comment.You will want to read it. It is so profound. This comment shakes nations and makes worlds tremble. You will never see a better comment. This comment is the best you have gotten. You will love this comment. Memorize and hold this comment close to your heart. This comment will be your all in all. This comment will satisfy all your desires. This comment is:

I love you.

Leopoldtulip said...

The dash is also an often over-looked but important factor in picking a name. I spent a bit of time deliberating whether my blog name "pseudo-profundities" had a dash in it or not, and ended up contradicting myself in the blog itself. There is no turning back after you are committed! (Ah well, even Shakespeare couldn't decide how to spell his own name.) Welcome to blogspot!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading your blog. I'm too lazy to "officially" join the blogging world myself, but I love reading my friend's blogs.