Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Exordium, Or, The Birth of a Blog – Part I

Boy, has it taken a long time to reach my first blog entry, or “post,” to use the proper lingo. Just the creation of this blog (forget any actual posts) represents myriad decisions, which, for those who know me well, meant agonizing “eeney-meeney-miney-moe” rounds over the smallest details, e.g., “Should I call it “THE Blue Notebook,” or merely “Blue Notebook”? For that hour, my life hinged on an article.

Once I lifted my head out of a book a few years ago and became acquainted with the nouveau technology of blogs, I determined never to have one not because I was against the idea, but because I am lazy. Who wants to learn all that html code and whatnot? I had better things to do, like finish my book and buy the sequel.

But then my husband got a blog. And a friend got one. And then our book group got one (which made me feel a little like a traitor, since, in the running debate about which is better, hard-copy books or e-books, I am old-fashioned and prefer books on paper). Then the clincher – we moved to a land far, far away called Atlanta. If I didn’t create a blog, all contact would be lost forever – at least, with my tendency toward forgetting to communicate, even in this easy age of email.

After investigating, I found out that actually, blogs are not that difficult to maintain, and any amount of code I’d have to learn would be minimal, with lots of Blogger Help to bolster my efforts. But it turns out, the decision just to start a blog was the easiest of all my blog decisions to date.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, V. Jane Eyre! Nice to have you aboard. Stop by my blog, Missyisms at http://missyisms.typepad.com, which I started almost a year ago. I'm currently running a poll about reading good books, so be sure to vote. I look forward to seeing what your pre-developed list of topics is for this blog. Keep up the good work.

Jane Eyre said...

Thanks. I hope the fact that I already have a typed, electronic list of potential topics to post doesn't mean I'm going to be anal about this blog....