Saturday, November 29, 2008

DIY Fall Centerpiece

Everyone is switching out the fall decor for Christmas stuff now, but here's the centerpiece I made 5 weeks ago when we put our house up for sale.

I had to have a centerpiece fast so that I'd have SOMETHING on the table when we got our house pictures taken for a real estate website. Of course, already-designed silk flowers cost a fortune, so I used my Hobby Lobby birthday gift card, bought the separate pieces, and put them together myself. After cleaning the house from top to bottom (including closets! since that's what our realtor told us to do), "make centerpiece" was last on my list of things to finish before the house photographer arrived. I had just 10 minutes to put this together (then an extra 5 minutes because the photographer was late).

Total cost value: less than $30
Actual cost: $0 (because of the gift card)
Number of pieces purchased: 4 (container, floral foam, 2 bunches of fall foliage)
Tools: wire cutter
Time spent arranging: 15 minutes; I had to cut each stem off the "bunch" since they were held together by a larger plastic stem

It's not floral-design-school perfect, and I confess, I MAY redo it next year (take everything out and start again), but it's not bad for 15 minutes and a person with no floral arranging education.

Christmas decorating is next, and I do have some money left on that gift card....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty and you did just fine.
You had a good time making it, and I am sure it made a great impression! Keep designing!
Steve Rittner

Rittners School of Floral Design
Boston,
http://www.floralschool.com