Monday, September 15, 2008

Save Money on Groceries

John emailed me about this article: Top 10 Ways to Save Money on Food.

Highlights include #9 - Stop Using Recipes, #8 - Shop Online, and #6 - Make a Core Menu.

I do like the idea of making a core menu that's used every week, with 2 nights for new recipes. I've been working on something similar, only not the same meals EVERY week. More like a 2-3 week menu rotation, with 1 night a week for new recipes since those always take (me) longer to make.

With # 9, the point is to go "off recipe" and make something on your own that uses up what you have lying around in the refrigerator, freezer, or pantry. But I was a little aghast at that, since I am the most horrible cook in the world. If anything, I have learned NOT to go off recipe (and John totally agrees with me), unless it's something I have cooked a thousand times (like stir fry or enchiladas). I am HORRIBLE at throwing something together and expecting it to taste good. Seriously, I might as well throw the ingredients in the trash instead, since we wouldn't enjoy the final product anyway!

However, it IS a good point, and I HAVE drastically improved my cooking skills, considering that I basically started barely knowing how to boil water. Following this tip - maybe half the time - would certainly be a crash course in trial-and-error cooking. And as my friend Melissa says, if it doesn't work out, that's what the backup frozen pizza is for.

No comments: