Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Curried Bulgur Casserole with Garbonzo Beans

From The Complete Vegan Cookbook:

"The fragrance satisfies long before this dish is taken from the oven. Warm and creamy in texture, it is sure to become a family favorite. For a variation, you may use cilantro in place of the parsley."
-authors Susan Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay

It certainly did smell good in the oven; John even made a comment about it. I liked this dish and would like to make it again - except that it was a bit on the bland side. I don't know if more curry should be added, or what could be changed to infuse more flavor. And I even used more onions than the recipe called for, which was unplanned! Perhaps because I used dried instead of fresh parsley? Any ideas for more flavor?]

Curried Bulgur Casserole with Garbonzo Beans

Yield: 6 main-dish servings
Prep/Cook Time: 45 minutes

1 1/2 cups uncooked bulgur
2 T olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 green onions, minced [I used 7, the whole bunch I bought at the store]
1 cup fresh or frozen shelled peas (see Note below)
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, drained [I used one can of beans, drained & rinsed]
1 T curry powder
1/4 tsp salt [I used non-iodized sea salt]
3/4 cup plain soy or rice milk
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley [um, I used 9 tsp dried]
6 fresh lemon wedges (optional)

Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Stir in the bulgur, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onions, and saute for about 2 minutes. Stir in the peas, garbanzo beans, curry powder, and salt, and cook 1 minute, then stir in the soy milk and parsley.

Combine the garbanzo mixture with the cooked bulgur in a large bowl. Fold the ingredients together until well-blended, then spoon the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. [I used a 2 1/2-quart dish. Really, the other looked too small.] Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot - with lemon wedges, if desired. [Usually I don't care about the optional things, but for this recipe, the lemon wedges are NOT optional. They really added to the taste!]

Note: If using frozen peas, place them in a colander and rinse briefly under warm water to melt off any ice crystals before adding them to the dish. [I did this, but REALLY didn't see much difference, besides the fact that it's an extra step.]

Each serving provides: 293 calories, 12g protein, 7g fat, 13g dietary fiber, 49g carbohydrates, 126mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol

3 comments:

Foodie Guwl said...

Next time use FRESH parsley, add some lemon juice, GARLIC (it makes everything taste better), and smoke the peppers (google that for directions). Probably more curry too if you don't think the curry taste was too much. I bet THAT would taste good!

Rachel V said...

Yum, this sounds good! I was going to suggest garlic, too -- you could saute a few cloves along with the onion and bell pepper. You could use more salt and a little bit of fresh cracked pepper. And definitely fresh parsely compared to dried. I think dried parsely is basically useless. :)

Roasting the peppers would be yummy but sounds like too much work for me.

Also I wonder if some golden raisins might add a nice sweet note along with the curry?

Jane Eyre said...

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try those next time. I really did like this dish and want to make it again.